With the generous support of The Sunshine Lady Foundation CI is able to offer student scholarships to qualifying members of the CI community each semester.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for a Sunshine Scholarship, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- Involvement with CI for at least one semester;
- Currently enrolled at a Middle States Accredited college and program;
- Completed at least 12 credits;
- A 2.75 GPA or higher;
- Can demonstrate active participation in the CI community over the past year. Active participation includes the following:
- Participating in a CI community event;
- Becoming a CI Mentor;
- Becoming a student instructor;
- Participating as a guest speaker at events, orientations or outreach initiatives.
Scholarships are up to:
$500 for graduate students;
$400 for full-time undergraduates;
$250 for part-time undergraduates.
These amounts are based on available funds.
How to apply
The deadline for applications is 4pm, Friday, August 29.
NOTE: This semester there is only one deadline for the application. Applications received after this time will not be considered.
- A fully completed CI Sunshine Scholarship Application (to be submitted online);
- Current registration;
- An up-to-date transcript (unofficial);
- Proof of income (i.e. copy of 1040, HRA budget letter, unemployment / ssi-ssd statements, 2 recent paystubs and/or release papers).
NOTE: This scholarship is NOT income based. All are encouraged to apply no matter how high or low your salary. Income data is used for statistical purposes only.
- Signed FERPA (CUNY students only):
The FERPA gives the College Initiative permission to receive information about your academic performance and advocate on your behalf at your college. Review the link for more information. Your signature must be original. You may submit this form to us when you come to pick up your check. Your check will not be released without a FERPA in your file.
Incomplete applications or applications without all supporting documents will not be considered.
Getting your application and supporting documents to us
Fax: (718) 679-9394
Mail (not recommended, since applications received after the deadline will not be considered):
College Initiative c/o Fortune Society
29-76 Northern Blvd
Long Island City, NY 11101
Re: Sunshine Scholarship
Walk-in: to Fortune Society, Room 117
For "walk-ins" please come in with all documents already printed or copied. Please go to the computer lab at your college if you need help printing from the website.
We anticipate that checks will be ready for pick up during the week of September 8.