Scholarships are first come first served. If the fund is depleted we will not issue any more awards. You run the risk of not receiving funds if you choose a later deadline.
Applications received by
* CI will send specific information about the exact hours for pick up by email when the checks arrive in our office.
Scholarships are up to:
$500 for graduate students
$400 for full-time undergraduates
$250 for part-time undergraduates
- Students involved with CI for at least one semester
- Currently enrolled at a Middle States Accredited college and program
- Completed at least 12 credits
- A 2.75 GPA or higher
- Can demonstrate active participation in the CI community over the past year. Active participation includes the following:
- Participated in a CI community event;
- Became a CI Mentor;
- Became a student Instructor;
- Participated as a guest speaker at events, orientations or outreach initiatives.
- CI mentees ($250 is the max amount for first semester mentees)
- A fully completed CI Sunshine Scholarship Application (on-line version) Mentee's Scholarship Application
- Current registration
- An up-to-date transcript (unofficial)
- Proof of income
(i.e. copy of 1040, HRA budget letter, unemployment / ssi-ssd statements, 2 recent paystubs and/or release papers).
NOTE: This scholarship is NOT income based. All are encouraged to apply no matter how high or low your salary. Income data is used for statistical purposes only!
- Signed FERPA (CUNY students only):
The FERPA gives the College Initiative permission to receive information about your academic performance and advocate on your behalf at your college. Review the link below for more information. Your signature must be original. You can either mail this form to us or submit it when you come to pick-up your check . Your check will not be released without a FERPA in your file.
**Incomplete applications or applications without all supporting documents will not be considered.**
Getting your application and supporting documents to us
Fax: (718) 679-9394
Mail (acceptable, but not recommended):
College Initiative c/o Fortune Society
29-76 Northern Blvd
Long Island City, NY 11101
Re: Sunshine Scholarship
Walk-in: to Fortune Society, Room 168
For "walk-ins" please come in with all documents already printed or copied. Please go to the computer lab at your college if you need help printing from the website.